Criminal Defense Attorneys
When an individual is charged with a crime, it could land them in jail, cost substantial amounts of money, and/or damage their future, and basic freedoms, even if the criminal charges are dropped. It is vital to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney that can offer skilled representation. Before hiring a criminal attorney, clients should assess an attorney’s case load, jury trial experience, years practicing in the crime venue, success rates, and factors that affect a positive outcome to a criminal charge. A criminal defense attorney is responsible for protecting the rights of a defendant under United States law, including rights to remain silent, access reasonable bail, jury trial, witness examination, presumption of innocence, and others. The most important right under the Sixth Amendment is the right to legal representation even when the accused person cannot afford it, the government must provide for legal counsel.
Criminal defense lawyers make calculated efforts to reduce jail time and fees, avoid and eliminate a criminal record, suspend sentencing, and seek end goals that reduce lasting negative impacts to an individual’s livelihood. Their work reflects life-changing case outcomes and improves a client’s chance to avoid wrongful convictions, or excessive sentences. A criminal defense attorney fights for their client’s rights in many ways through:
- representing clients in court
- presence during police interviews and interrogations
- advising clients on all available options
- interviewing witnesses
- gathering evidence
- examining circumstances of police arrests to check for Fourth Amendment violations
- examining chemical test results related to DUI and drug-related charges
- researching plausible legal defenses relative to case
- outlining particulars of plea bargains
Criminal record impact.
A criminal record can sully a person’s life by disqualifying them from financial aid, or higher education admission; public housing and other federal and state assistance programs; the ability to find gainful employment, and a place to live. Even when a person is exonerated of a crime, proof of an arrest may still show up on public social platforms, including mugshots, making it difficult to conceal a criminal past.
Laws for expungement and sealing of criminal records may keep a person’s criminal past from negatively affecting their life. Rules are complicated requiring the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney, who can research a case to make certain someone’s offense is not one of the offenses that automatically disqualify a person from having a record sealed according to a State’s Department of Law Enforcement. A criminal defense attorney could be the difference between going to jail and having a lifelong criminal record, or making alternate arrangements to lessen a criminal charge so it can be expunged from a person’s record at a later date.
Criminal defense representation.
A criminal defense lawyer is a worthwhile lifetime investment for individuals who need experienced legal representation against charges for committing a wide variety of criminal offenses, including white collar crimes; drug use and distribution; criminal theft; vehicular manslaughter, and DUI charges.
White collar crime includes a range of fraudulent activity committed by business and government professionals, characterized by deceit, concealment, or violation of trust and is not dependent on the application, or threat of physical force, or violence. The penalties can be severe because these crimes are not victimless.
Drug-related charges may include misdemeanor and felony charges, including possession of marijuana, or other drugs; illegal possession of prescription drugs; trafficking, or transporting illegal narcotics; possession with intent to sell; and the manufacture of illegal substances. Drug trafficking is a serious charge, which is a first-degree felony charge and includes the possession, sale, purchase, manufacture, or delivery of controlled or illegal substances. As a means of addressing America’s opioid crisis, many states have imposed strict opioid prescription laws in the U.S. necessitating the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney.
Criminal theft charges address theft when a person takes something without the owner’s consent and includes:
- Petty theft
- Grand theft
- Theft by conversion
- Theft of lost property
- Criminal theft is prosecuted by the state and if a person is found guilty, they can end up with community service, fines and/or prison time.
Criminal DUI/BUI charges include driving under the influence and boating under the influence, resulting in DUI/BUI manslaughter, homicide, intoxicated reckless driving and hit-and-run charges. Other traffic encounters that may result in criminal charges include reckless/careless driving, road rage, vehicular homicide, manslaughter, and resisting arrest, or attempts to elude law enforcement. States take driving under the influence of alcohol very seriously, and it is evidenced by the amount of tickets issued for this offense.
DUI charges and penalties.
- A person is guilty of the offense of operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol when driving is affected to the extent that physical faculties are impaired. An experienced DUI attorney can be of great assistance in guiding client’s actions after a drunk driving arrest.
- A drunk driving attorney can assist with questions about penalties that depend on factors including blood alcohol level, age, property damage, physical injury, and repeat offender status, resulting in misdemeanor to felony offense charges. DUI/BUI outcomes may involve costly fines, driver’s license suspension and/or revocation, and jail time from months to several years when warranted, along with the state-mandated use of an ignition interlock device. drunk driving attorneys know how to have charges reduced in certain situations.
- Damage to property, or person,
- Serious bodily injury,
- Hit and run could yield very serious penalties in accordance with state laws. A DUI lawyer may take legal actions to have charges reduced when minor harmful negligent outcomes occur.
Hire a criminal defense attorney who can offer personalized attention, and has a long history of success in criminal litigation. Consult a criminal attorney to discuss the particulars of a specific case, because a criminal charge is a serious matter. Possible legal strategies for a case may be to offer a reduction in charges and fines, depending upon the circumstances of the arrest, past criminal history, and the impact of skillful legal counsel.