The answer is yes, and criminal defense lawyers in New York are here to explain why and what you may need to do.

When two parents are unable to work out their differences and file for divorce, it is common for one to have to pay child support. While it can be quite expensive depending on your particular circumstances, when a judge orders you to pay child support, you want to make sure you get it done. Sadly, some parents may be faced with hardships that prevent them from being able to pay these dues, or pay on the actual due date, and this can lead to much harsher consequences.

If you are held contempt of court, it is important you attend this hearing to avoid jail time.

New York defense attorneys note that if you neglect to pay child support and your child’s other parent requests a court hearing because you failed to adhere to the agreement made, you are then held in contempt of court. When this occurs, you are going to be provided with a legal document stating you must attend this hearing and the exact details regarding it. If you have been faced with a contempt of court because you have failed to pay child support, it is important you attend this hearing, and with the proper evidence.


Nearby New York defense attorneys note that if you fail to show up for this hearing, the court may issue a warrant for your arrest. And if you are caught, you will then be placed in jail. But, if you do attend the hearing, there is still the chance that the judge may require you to spend time in jail. Why? Well, it all depends on how you plead your case. The judge is going to want to hear a legitimate explanation, and a good one at that as to why you have not have provided adequate compensation for your child.

You may avid jail time if you have proof in court why you weren’t able to pay the required child support.

In the event you have proof and convincing evidence, the judge may be lenient on you and refrain from placing you in jail. If you can prove you didn’t deliberately skip out on these payments and believe that maybe you shouldn’t be required to pay, be sure you have a reliable and well-versed criminal defense lawyer with you and there to assist with your case as well.

In the event you have been faced with a contempt to court and worry you may be facing jail time, consult with a professional at the Spodek Law Group P.C. in New York. Having a worthy and reliable defense lawyer can make or break your case and you don’t want to risk spending time behind bars when it isn’t exactly necessary. The Spodek Law Group P.C. can be reached at 212-300-5196 and will be more than willing to provide you with the assistance and time necessary to  aid with your matter.